Sunday, June 2, 2013

Sorry, Rock Star, I Found a New Love...




Vintage French Style Cutting Board
I missed a band gig last night because I was knee deep in sawdust. Rock Star forgives me because he knows my need to craft is as strong as his need to play music, so no divorce lawyers are going to get rich off of us - thank goodness!
 
Hickory Cutting Board
I spent the evening cutting, sanding and hand rubbing oil into my French vintage style cutting board. Yep, I said board, not boards. This one took me all evening. Hopefully, the next ones will be a little less time consuming, since I kind of know what I’m doing now. It was a labor of love. I loved the sweet nutty smell of the hickory as I sawed and sanded, and I adore the smooth, silky feel of the finished surface.

American Indian Bow and Arrows
uchicago.edu

Hickory hardwood is abundant in North America. It was used by Native Americans for their bows. Because it is very hard with a fine, dense grain, it makes perfect cutting boards too.  I love that I can use my scraps for barbeque smoke - nothing gets wasted!
Bleach HAZMAT Warning
globalindustrial.com
 Some people worry about germs and bacteria, but wood has been proven to be as safe, if not safer, than plastic. Although some recommend using chlorine bleach, that is something I absolutely do not think is safe. Chlorine may be a naturally occurring element, but it isn’t deadly just to germs. Frankly, I think we use far too many unsafe chemicals in our kitchens.
 
Organic White Vinegar
Instead, I recommend that you spray a wooden cutting board with white vinegar and wipe it with a damp clean cloth. Vinegar is a great disinfectant and does not leave a taste or odor on the wood. Depending on how often you use your cutting board for meats or veggies, you will need to apply a butcher block oil once every six to eight weeks. 
Block Brothers Block Oil
I like Block Brothers Block Oil. It is an all-natural oil with a mild lemon scent. Never soak the board in water or put it in the dishwasher!

Vintage French Style Bread Board

I’m adding these fabulous cutting boards to my Etsy shop - one at a time….as soon as I get the feeling back in my sanding arm.

Have you neglected your spouse lately?





12 comments:

  1. Your cutting board is beautiful! Thanks for the cleaning tips; it never occurred to me to use vinegar. But, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurel - I'm always looking for safe and effective cleaning products. And vinegar is so darned inexpensive!

      Delete
  2. I think hubby can manage a night or two of un-spousal support- lol That board looks really, really great! Nice job- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your profile statement. We live in a tiny cottage and love it. We have talked about the fact that if we lived in a big house, we would still end up in the same few tiny rooms together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth. Hubby and I are sharing the dining room table as we speak. Besides, a big house would require more cleaning and there would be less time for painting and crafting! Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous bread board! I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have neglected my spouse lately, but first I am going to follow your suggestions and start with two cutting boards I picked up at garage sales and rub oil on their wood.

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my - is it just me or does that sound just a little naughty...?

      Delete
  6. Ha! I just read your reply above. :) New follower!
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Revi! I'm following you as well. Your jewelry is fantastic and your blog is very entertaining. See you soon!

      Delete