Friday, July 5, 2013

Too Pooped to Pop Fireworks - But Never Too Tired to Eat Salad

O'Fallon MO Freedom Fest Flag
I hope everyone had a fabulous 4th.  Our little town has a wonderful Independence Day celebration with a parade, great talent and beautiful fireworks. We also had some pretty miserable weather. We don't have hurricanes like the south, but we have some spectacular tornados and windstorms. Rock Star and I spent much of the last two weekends and most of yesterday removing fallen trees and crushed shrubbery. So last night, when the fireworks started, I was on my way to bed. I missed the big flag.

I missed the fireworks too...
O'Fallon Freedom Fest Fireworks
But we did have dinner with some lovely friends and I found this wonderful patriotic salad at FabulesslyFrugal.com

http://fabulesslyfrugal.com/red-white-and-blue-salad/
I changed it a little. I toasted and salted my pecans instead of using candied ones and I used feta cheese instead of coconut - the poppyseed dressing was FABULOUS just as written.

Do you like to tweak recipes? Or do you prefer to stick to the plan?

6 comments:

  1. It looks delish! If I've made something a few times, I feel comfortable changing ingredients, but the first time I follow a recipe to the letter.

    It seems storms like you've experienced are becoming commonplace all over the country. We're still clearing trees in neighboring forests from a storm last 4th of July. It's hard to see decades old trees pulled out of the ground like weeds.

    Happy belated 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right Vickie - the stately old trees that have fallen are so sad to see. I'm grateful that at least no one was injured.

      Delete
  2. LOL- I am always changing recipes up. The sad thing is that I sometimes change it-love it better than the original and then don't remember exactly what I did the next time I go to make it. The storms all over this country have been wicked! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny - sometimes hubby will ask me to make that "whatever" that was so good and I have to revert back to the original recipe - or make a different change, just cuz. Good thing my husband doesn't mind being a guinea pig.

      Delete
  3. Your salad looks delicious. I do tweak recipes, but not because I am super creative or a great cook. I'm lazy and like to take shortcuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of my shortcuts have garnered some of my best results!

      Delete