Sunday, September 1, 2013

Perfect Healthy Bread Machine Bread

Perfect Bread Machine Bread
I gave up on my bread machine for a long time because the recipes contained too much sugar, so the bread was too sweet, or the loaves came out too dense and heavy, but have you ever read the ingredients on the average loaf of store bought bread?  I can't even pronounce some of them and others I can't imagine why they are there - like vinegar for instance!

A few weeks ago I found a bread machine recipe I hadn't tried and tweaked it to make it healthier with whole wheat and honey. The results were FABULOUS! It has only simple healthy ingredients that I can pronounce. The texture is pure perfection - light, soft and slightly chewy - with a terrific crust even your kids won't want to cut off. 



The strange hole in the bottom of my loaf is caused by the paddle that kneads the dough, but it only affects a couple of slices, so I can live with that flaw. In every other way, this loaf is simply perfect every time!

BREAD MACHINE WHEAT BREAD

1 cup warm water (110 degrees)
1-1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
2 tablespoons honey or sugar
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 cups bread flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon sea salt

Place the water, sugar and yeast in the pan of the bread machine. Let the yeast dissolve and foam for 10 minutes. Add the oil. Sift salt into flour with a fork or pastry cutter and add to the yeast mixture all at once. Select Basic or White Bread setting, light crust if your machine has that option, and press Start. When the loaf is done, remove immediately from the machine and allow to cool.

I know this goes completely against everything your bread machine instructions and most bread machine recipes tell you about NEVER letting the yeast touch the liquid, but since I have baked many a loaf by hand and mixing the liquid, sweetener and yeast is EXACTLY what you do, I could not understand this dire warning.

Pull out that old bread machine and Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Gosh I love homemade bread. Yours looks so good. Unfortunately, I don't own a bread machine....yet. But when I do, I'm going to give your recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go in phases with my bread machine, probably because the only room I have to store it is in the basement. Your post has reminded me to haul it out for the holidays when I especially like homemade bread. This looks like a great recipe to try. Thanks for the reminder! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurel - it will smell wonderful in that fabulous new kitchen of yours!

      Delete